Thursday, 15 September 2011

The Far Planet

It's been a while since I did any Flash work professionally, almost a year in fact, but I'm now back onto that after spending the rest of the time in .Net and JQuery. Anyway, picking up Flash at work to fix and extend other people's projects got me loading it back up at home in the evening, and so I began going through some of my old home brew projects, loading them up and running them.


Most of these projects are unfinished but some are in very well developed states. I tend to produce code the builds an engine, get really enthusiastic about how to solve all of the problems that need to be overcome to make it, then forget to layer the game on top of the engine. As a developer, most of the fun of writing code is solving problems, and by the time that the engine has been built, all of the really difficult problems have been solved. There are exceptions to this, of course, but a consequence of this way of working leads to lots of unfinished projects. Time is the other factor that works against you when you do things for yourself.


So there I was, loading them up and looking at them, realising how close to being a game some of them are, when it occurred to me, why don't I link some of these together, using a story of my own devising, to make a single game. Each of these unfinished projects would form a 'chapter' in the story of the overall game. This would provide a unique experience for the player; one chapter might be a flight sim while another could be strategy, for example.


And so the idea for 'The Far Planet' was born...

2 comments:

anarchist said...

Hi,

Apologies for the off-topic comment, but I couldn't find a contact email for you.

I've recently put out an ebook of my writing, called 'The New Death and others'. It's mostly short stories, with some obvious gamer-interest material. For example I have a story inspired by OD&D elves, as well as poems which retell Robert E Howard's King Kull story 'The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune' and HP Lovecraft's 'Under the Pyramids'.

I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a review on your blog.

If so, please let me know your email, and what file format is easiest for you, and I'll send you a free copy. You can email me (news@apolitical.info) or reply to this thread.

You can download a sample from Smashwords:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/92126

I'll also link to your review from my blog.

Yours,
James.

GRIP said...

nice blog

http://www.alliapps.com/