Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Seven Leagues - First impressions

I fancied a change of game for our weekly sunday sessions and so parked our existing Labyrinth Lord campaign, with its array of tweaks, house rules and 8-th level characters and took a break for a few weeks. During this time, I looked at a number of different game systems and even started compiling my own house rules into a roleplaying game of my own.

I was wanting to do something a little less dark. I'd spent over sixty game sessions (a year and half) creating and running adventures that took my players into dank and dangerous ruins, sewers, pitch black caverns and so forth and it had reached the point where I wanted to do something quite different to that.

The idea of injecting colour into a dark and dreary scene was a strong motivation to do something different. Switching out the dungeon for a forest was one such idea and a lot of other ideas  began to flow out from that simple tweak. I began writing up custom classes based on mythical beasts, collating house rules and so forth, and that got me part way to making my own roleplaying game.

And then I came across Seven Leagues.

Seven Leagues is an intriguing roleplaying game based around the idea of shared story telling, something we are all actively engaged in, to various degrees, when we roleplay anyway. The setting was fairy tale which matched somewhat with where I was going in my own mind anyway, as I was wanting more enchantment and colour in the world I was taking my players to. As I read the rules, I became even more interested: How can players play anything they want and the game not be just not broken, but that's how its supposed to work? Some very unique and innovative mechanics support this.

I have yet to play a game, because, alas, the session I set aside for this was taken up by character creation. Imagine sitting down with a group of players who are very familiar with D&D, World of Warcraft, Whitewolf games etc and telling them... right, you can play anything you want... all you've got to do is to decide what! As a consequence, character creation took a long time and became a bit of a collaborative process, not just with me (as DM, or in the case of Seven Leagues, the Narrator) and the player in question but between the players themselves. It was very interesting.

We ended up with a party of a Scottish Dragon, an English Alchemachanic and a ghostly Necromancer. Quite a mix... and highly original!

I can't wait for the next session when I throw them into my story, set in a faerie land of dream!

14 comments:

吳婷婷 said...

好文章給我好心情,謝謝分享~~............................................................

雅俊芬凱陳許 said...

天助自助者~~大家一起加油!為了更好的將來!............................................................

盈廖生家秀蔡 said...

字是活的,人和環境的觀察是活的,思想是活的。不管怎樣,就是要有一兩樣是活的。否則都是平庸。..................................................

佳瑩佳瑩 said...

百發百中不是一試就成的。..................................................

胡維倫 said...

認識自己,是發現妳的真性格、掌握妳的命運、創照你前程的根源。............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

人生最重要的一件事,就是從生活中認識你自己。............................................................

駱李淑華明欣 said...

Learn wisdom by the follies of others.............................................................

凱v胡倫 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債.................................................................

宜明文潔 said...

男女互悅,未必廝守終生,相愛就是美的。.................................................................

por said...

人自幼就應該通過完美的教育,去建立一種好的習慣。......................................................

承楊芸承楊芸承楊芸 said...

人應該做自己認為對的事,而不是一味跟著群眾的建議走。..................................................

1615 said...

請繼續發表好文!加油加油再加油!............................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

上班很累,摸個魚輕輕鬆鬆的逛部落

王雅俊 said...

文章不求沽名釣譽,率性就是真的.................................................................